This service is based at the Countess of Chester Hospital and the dieticians organise their own appointments. These are pre-booked when they receive a GP or Practice Nurse referral. Patients are usually seen at Laurel Bank Surgery, where clinics are held once a month.
Due to the high demand for this service referrals are restricted to special cases.
The practice nurses can advise on simple obesity problems, low cholesterol diets and diabetic diets.
Referral to a dietician is usually for more complicated cases such as:
- New or uncontrolled diabetics
- New coeliac cases
- Patients with kidney stones
- Patients on restricted diets due to proven allergy
- Patients with malnutrition
- Gross obesity with a BMI over 30
To work out your BMI (body mass index) go to: www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx
Page last updated: December 13, 2017